Established in 1978, the Center for Excellence in Disabilities (CED) is located in Morgantown, West Virginia and has a satellite office in Big Chimney, West Virginia with staff located in offices across the state to better serve clients in their communities. The CED is a unit within West Virginia University (WVU) Health Sciences Center, and because of the placement within the University, has access and alignment within the Schools of Pharmacy, Public Health, Nursing, Medicine and Dentistry.
As a federally designated University Center for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities (UCEDD), we are part of a national network of similar centers across the country and serve as a resource to the community in the areas of education, research and service as it relates to the needs of people with disabilities.
The vision of the West Virginia University Center for Excellence in Disabilities is to be recognized and trusted as a partner providing knowledge, resources and innovative leadership within a statewide network of professional and community partners.
The mission of the West Virginia University Center for Excellence in Disabilities is to improve the lives of West Virginians with disabilities by supporting more diverse, inclusive communities.
- We believe in advocating for an inclusive society.
- We believe in facilitating self-determination and independence.
- We believe in encouraging leadership and transparency within the organization and community.
- We believe in supporting solution-oriented, evidence-based practices and research.
- We believe in promoting ethical and culturally competent practices.
- We believe in collaborating with our partners to build a stronger network of support.
- We believe that West Virginians are in control of their own destinies.